Saturday, August 4, 2012

Quick Guide to Photo Retouching in Photoshop

levelscurves  

Photoshop is an amazing tool. From creating type and graphics to editing an image, it really can do a wide range of tasks and perform a variety of different functions. One main purpose of Photoshop is to edit images. Whether it be an in depth edit, or a quick fix, Photoshop has the tools to improve any digital picture.

Quick Edits

I hate when I take a photo and the focus is just slightly off. It makes my work ridiculously difficult. Or at least it used to. I take a lot of product photography in different settings. I used to hate coming home to see my photos and light be perfect … except for the slight blur. Enter Photoshop’s “Unsharp Mask”. Find this in the Filter –> Sharpen menu. Adjust settings to get that blurry image slightly crisper. The Unsharp Mask works wonders for creating a crisp, detailed image.
The unsharp mask may be subtle but it can really bring a picture to life!
Another part of any photographer’s repertoire should be the burn/dodge tool. Anyone old enough to have developed their own film (yes, some people still do it now – I miss my old darkroom!) can remember the days of using your hand to dodge and maybe some cut up cardboard with holes in it to burn the light from the negatives. Photoshop obviously makes this easier, and creates an “undo” button for an over or underdone photo. Instantly create more dramatic lines, whiten teeth, and more quickly with this helpful tool.

Burn and Dodge

More In Depth Solutions

While there are so many options for detailed photo editing, retouching, and more I always find myself drawn to a couple specific ones to start and I build from there. I always start with a curves and layers adjustment mask. I like to tweak them to get the white balance and colors that I really am looking for.

Other adjustment layers such as color filters, black and white layers, gradients and more can add great depth and effects to your images. Filters can also make some great changes. From stock filters such as the unsharp mask, Gaussian blur and more, all the way to filter plug-ins such as Filter Forge, you can create and tweak effects to match the style you need. Mix and match, but be sure to save your original photograph – you never know when you’ll need it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment