Tuesday, June 26, 2012

What I Learned This Year 2012 #31: Jessyel Ty Gonzalez




I’m no writer, friends – my world instead revolves around that of photography. I had visions of grandeur when preparing to write this. It was going to be humorous, with nuggets of wisdom and parcels of prowess that were going to bring a smile to your brain. Instead, you get this unkempt mess:
I learned that...
-Life can provide statistically almost-impossible surprises. Example: I have a kid now!* (She’s pretty awesome.)
-On that note, it’s amazing what you can do on a few hours of sleep.
-You get odd stares when you take your one-month-old to the bar for that evening drink.
-That “Dear Sophie” Google Chrome commercial gets me every time.
-Surrounding yourself with smart, humble, and hard-working people will do wonders to your work and being. Doing the opposite is hazardous.
-You win some. You lose some.
-Seeing your image come to life in a darkroom is a truly magical thing.
-The more time I spend with them, the more I realize photographers are very odd individuals. Every single one of us. The only explanation I can come up with is that (for me, at least) photography provides the brightest of highs and darkest of lows. That emotional roller coaster has to affect you somehow...
-Less can be more.
-Even though I’m 27, I felt old for the first time in my life. How did those young interns not get any of my Fresh Prince and Seinfeld references?!
-Photography is in oversupply. Photographers who are creative problem solvers are going to win.
-72dpi is very forgiving.
-I’m much more inspired by people who make great photographs instead of those who only talk about them.
-Remember those toys hidden inside cereal boxes when you were a kid? I miss that. (Hint, hint, cereal makers.)
-I like to prep myself the night before a big shoot by watching a film with great cinematography. (There Will Be Blood, Drive, and The Assassination of Jesse James... provided me good fortune this year.)
-The Colorado photography scene is starting to get serious.
-I need to find a way to help people through my photography.
-I still have not taken a truly great photograph. This haunts me.
-Photography definitely has a hook on me. There was a stretch when I worked twenty hours a day for over two weeks on a stressful project. It was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity. I love what I do, even when I don’t know why I should.
-Long story short, turns out Hallmark doesn't make a 'Sorry My Zipper Was Accidentally Down During That Entire Photo Shoot' card.
-The key to great photography is not letting anyone see your bad shots.
-I really miss shooting with film (especially Kodachrome).
-All light we see is from the past. Think about that for a second. WE ARE SEEING THE PAST IN THE PRESENT, PEOPLE!
-The equipment does matter.
-Behind every great photographer is a great retoucher.
-A few of my photos were seen by millions of people this year (TV endcards). There’s something humbling and frightening about that.
-If a movie trailer has Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" or Tone Loc's "Wild Thing," STAY AWAY FROM THAT MOVIE.
-When I was first starting out, one of my biggest dreams was to have my photos in TIME Magazine. This year, I accomplished that. Then (spoiler alert) the last scene from Finding Nemo hits my head: Now what? I’m scared that no matter how much I accomplish, it may never be enough.
-There’s only one way to find out, though. This year’s new goals: I want a magazine cover and billboard, dammit.
-A small amount of kindness goes a long way. (Seriously, folks – let’s be nice to one another.)
-I need to get better about shooting personal work.
-I just generally need to step it up.
-I still leave the damn lens cap on sometimes.
-I’m one lucky son of a bitch.
*: I don’t plan on ever telling my child she was an accident, but part of me hopes she finds out by reading this article fifteen years in the future. Also, I hope my wife doesn’t read this. If so... SURPRISE, HONEY! I love you...

No comments:

Post a Comment