Saturday, August 18, 2012

Unwanted Highlights-Retouching

Unwanted Highlights-Retouching


Retouching/post-editing a photo can be fun, but its a lot of work. Photoshop is my tool (CS5). Look at the original image of my daughter's portrait. Taken with Nikon D5100, 18-55mm, no flash, standard portrait setting. Good photograph? I think so. But, needs a lot of post-editing work. For instance, the highlight on her nose.
Open the original file and always duplicate background layer. Layers are the key to retouching, in order to achieve the desired outcome. You cannot edit one part of an image without affecting another. Not without layers.
On the new layer, you are going to use the cloning tool to reduce the contrast of the highlight on the nose. Retouching should be done at 100% in order to view the pixels up close. Like a good fine artist, they work closely with their canvas. Step away, then get back close and on and on they go! Same here!
So, make sure you are viewing the portrait at 100%, select the cloning tool. Change the opacity on the tool (not in the layers box) to a mid-range number. You will have to play around with this to reach desired effect. I started low, with an opacity of 35%. I then selected the area above the highlight with a feathered brush, fairly small size, but not too small. The smaller the brush size selected, the more you can see your cloned work. This will be trial and error for each area that you want to clone.
So, with selecting the area above the nose, I then started cloning the original highlight (not so apparent) on the bridge of the nose and took it down almost to the tip of the nose. I then started selecting areas on the nostrils to slowly clone and fill in the highlight. If you are cloning too dark, lower your opacity on your cloning tool and that should help.
After you are mildly satisfied with your work, duplicate that layer. On the new layer, begin to use your dodge tool to lighten the area between your cloned work and original. Be sure to play around with the opacity of the Dodge tool (again, not the opacity in the layers box.)
This helps make it a smoother transition between the layer of cloning and the original.
I also used my Burn tool with low opacity to assist with blending the two together.
You may want to create another layer, then clone again if you haven't reached your desired outcome. The reason for using a low opacity while using tools is so that part of the original photo can still appear. If too much cloning, dodging or burning goes on, you start to lose the natural texture of the skin. Which will make the person look more flat.
It takes time and practice. I have a BFA in Visual Arts and Graphic Design. My passion for photography was always just a passion. Over the past 5 years, I have actually become a paid photographer. But my retouching skills and experience came from my many jobs in advertising and design. (Over 10 years in A&D)
Keep practicing!
To reach my desired post-editing goal, I also played with levels, dodging and burning, cloning, I added a warm photo filter, maually color corrected skin tone, hair and other components with my brush tool, using hue and color as my selection. I sharpened some highlights in eyes and hair also.
I hope I have helped! Happy retouching!

No comments:

Post a Comment