Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Andrew McGibbon: All the Wild Horses

Stars bow | © AndrewMcGibbon


Andrew McGibbon - not the first photographer from South Africa with whom we talk. However, the first resident at the Cape Town and Durban, a smaller city, which Andrew describes as "relaxed surf town."
"There is little going on," says Andrew. "From a business perspective, perhaps it is wise to move to Cape Town. However, I have gained clientele here, so move to Cape Town would be equivalent to almost everything to start from the beginning. In addition, it seems that Durban "accumulate" creative energy - a lot of great artists here carry out their projects, so in such an environment is not so bad. "
What is the mission served today?
"For a couple of years orientuojuosi in commercial photography. At first it was difficult to convince advertising agencies to hire me, a photographer. But in the end I persilaužiau and now a good photograph, large campaigns. But lately I felt a desire and artistic photography. That's what prompted me to shoot the horses. "
Yes, I wanted to ask, how do you do this project?
Excellent! I started shooting in January, the first exhibition was in March, and now these photos through the Internet has become a huge viral. Last week I received my website 31,000 unique 

 visitors. By comparison, until a total of 600 visitors attended over two years! "






 
©AndrewMcGibbon
©AndrewMcGibbon
Stars submission to the lighting scheme | © AndrewMcGibbon

Great! What do you think people like them as well?
"First of all, I think the way the pictures are lit. It does not look like any ordinary horse photography. Although it was not taken with the studio, it still looks like footage from the studio, because we have literally built a studio on the spot. Image is very stylized. Also, judging from the reactions and comments, to curry animal emotions, captured frames. They look like people. In fact, this project, I desire that those people who are not interested or do not like animals, pictures, emotions would, therefore, bearing in mind I think I succeeded. Critics of the horse just got užsiemančių people. "
Who caught them?
"Some seem to depict the infamous horses, but they do not believe that horses are sad. Others did not like the way I take pictures of them. What good are the traditional methods of shooting horses and in no way an animal can not bring smb. To one's knees on the road ... what I have done a few times ... "
Now I remembered that my colleague is interested in riding, said that they look very thin.
"Yes, I've heard that too. You know, I really does not force them to throw the weight! Probably this is because some of them are polo horses - very muscular. However, most of the "guilty" lighting. It really highlighted the ribs and muscles. "
So, what lighting are you using?
"Well, they were stables and paddocks fotgrafuoti PROFOTO using lights and velvet wallpaper. It uses both white and black. I also had two monolight'us D1 500 and Pro-B3 battery-generator with two Pro-B lamps. The main source of light, the Pro-B lamp PROFOTO giant silver reflector 210, stood outside, above my head. Stables built inside the right side of the second pro-B lamp with Magnum reflector and a blue filter. The horse has the right to zoom reflektorium D1, which lit up the hair. Fortunately, the stable wall below the ceiling, and the lamp, I could build a box. "Not all horses have been photographed in that way, but the essence is similar.
Whether it was the first time, photos were taken when the animals?
"No, it all started last November when I took pictures of animal rights organization SPCA. Dog and goose photos are from the campaign. Then for the first time I took pictures of animals. By the way, you also took a photograph of a horse. I used a giant reflector reflector 210, which gave the incredible brilliance of his coat. That's what sparked this entire project. "

©AndrewMcGibbon
©AndrewMcGibbon
©AndrewMcGibbon
©AndrewMcGibbon

Do you use the same equipment and SPCA pictures?
"A little different. I had carbon paper background. The dog on the left and right stood a D1 monolight'ą with zoom reflector and black curtains. It is also used by the Pro-B lamp with Magnum reflector. She stood behind a high rise, facing the roll of paper and lit up a dog's head on the other side. Finally, in front of the Pro-B lamp with Indu Beauty. "
I also have a dog, but he always refuses to look into the lens. Where's your secret?
"You know, maybe it all seems nepreikaištingai, but I was lying on his back, camera in hand, and behind me was crying, and five more plojantys people with bells and whistles. Then the dog from time to time to hesitate a moment to the lens. And then the opportunity was a good frame. I will ruin the power of pictures, where the dog looks the other way ... "
I also want to inquire about your very first picture that I saw - you have been declared to Twitter. It dropped the girl to paint?
"Yes, that was my next personal project. Work together with the face painter here in Durban. Bought about 10 kg for children Water color paint and just svaidėme them into models. Lighting in the picture - very, very significant of simple. Right - Beauty Bowl. On the left - my waist height built in zoom reflector directed to the model. Also - black reflectors are very close to her face, helped to highlight the shadows on the cheeks. And that's it. Only two lights on! In fact, all the tricks - the model's talent at the right time and properly pressed the button with a hand thrower.
"The photo session was also tried something different. Where better to look at a girl with rainbow eyelashes, you will find reflections in her eyes, and below - one more, žvaidždės form of reflection. I just took the cardboard and cut out the stars. After inserting it into a zoom reflector and created a glare in the eyes of stars. Inexpensive way to modify the zoom reflector, is not it? "



©AndrewMcGibbon
©AndrewMcGibbon
©AndrewMcGibbon
©AndrewMcGibbon
©AndrewMcGibbo

No comments:

Post a Comment